Skip to main content

End 2021 Review - closing in to $700k net worth

I started prepping this post at the start of Dec. My initial draft indicated that I reached $700k net worth.

As the clock strikes 31 Dec 2021, despite my pay coming in, I've not reached this figure. 

I probably jinx myself by drafting too early. Back in early Nov, my net-worth was at $690k. I thought I would make it to $700k soon!

Alas, my net-worth fell due to lacklustre performance of my stocks and crypto. The only avenue that is growing is my CPF (thanks govt). If I had held cash massively like what I did in the past, maybe I'd have hit $700k net worth soon ðŸ˜…

Here's a recap over the years:

Targets review:

  • Aim to achieve $650k net worth in 2021✅
  • Grow my stock portfolio to $200k value✅
  • Get to travel FAR in 2021❌
  • Have a kid❌
  • Be healthy and happy; likewise for my family✅

2021 Review

Here's a recap of what went by in 2021:

Jan
Feb
May
Jun
Jul
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec

Net Worth

And something everyone is here for...the breakdown of my (close to) $700k net worth....at $690k.


Compared to 2020, my cash has been massively cut. I used to have $300k cash at my disposal. The joke is on me that despite having such cash, I failed to double or triple it like what fellow bloggers did. I dumped most into HK stocks, which is making me look silly. There's so many ifs - if I had gotten more SOL, more Luna when I started out my crypto journey. But hindsight is 20/20. 

The cash was channeled to stocks, crypto and SRS. New to the net worth chart are crypto and SRS. For the former, which I started only in Feb this year (see First foray into crypto via Gemini). Despite not doubling my investment, I'm sitting on 20-30% gains. Hopefully crypto doesnt drop further. For the latter, I've blogged about it here (see Finally set up my SRS account with Endowus (PS: $40 referral bonus till 31 Dec 2021 only))

In a span of 5 years, I grew my net-worth from $200k to  (close to) $700k in net worth. That's $100k on average/year. As such, I hope to continue this trajectory....and push it further - to grow another $150k and reach $850k by end of 2022.

Hopes and Goal for 2022

  • Aim to achieve $850k net worth in 2022
  • Bring my parents out for an overseas trip; if not make do with cruise trip
  • Grow crypto portfolio to 10% of networth
  • Material wants: buy a rolex and LV/chanel bag
Strategy: Keep $100k cash in FD, savings account as emergency; invest the rest

Note that I no longer talk about having a kid or anything relating to career. 

I've come to terms that not having a child is probably a form of blessing as whatever my husband and I earns are for our own keep. Life gets less complicated since I don't have a young dependent to watch over. Of course, I will miss out on the joy of being a parent, and I feel my parents are yearning for a grandchild, but if things don't happen, so be it. I will channel my thoughts and energy to living a simple life and just be contented with what I have.

As for career, I know it's funny to say this given that I have yet to reach my "career peak", but I find myself earning an amount proportionate for the efforts I put in. WFH has given me a good equilibrium. I do not wish to chase for promotion or higher pay because I will not be happy putting in a lot a lot more efforts and time (unless company give me higher pay for same amount of work?🙃). I rather maintain this income, and have time to breathe, and do simple investments on the side. After all, I am very clear that work is just a means. I've no interest in social interactions at work, and I aspire to retire at 40. 

Short-term goal

  • Reach $1m portfolio in stock + SRS + crypto by 2025
Strategy: To do so, I'd need to:
  • invest $5k per month for the next 4 years with at least 8% growth ðŸ˜±
  • invest $4k per month for the next 4 years with at least 10% growth😱
  • invest $3k per month for the next 4 years with at least 12% growth 😱
Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

What the luck? DBS and OCBC banking tokens died!

What luck. My ibanking tokens went dead one after another. OCBC Token First was my OCBC token. It said "low battery", but I ignored it. And when I finally need to use it, it was dead. Granted that I could use SMS OTP, I had to make a big transfer to other banks and it was over the withdrawal limits. And to do that, I needed the ibanking token. And serve me right for not activating the onetoken. In the end, I had to call in to OCBC call centre for a replacement. 7 working days, they said. What a long wait. In the midst of it, I needed to make my interbank transfers. I even went down to OCBC bank and explored a stupid manual way i.e to withdraw cash and deposit into the other bank. But the moment they told me they ran out of big notes, I got scared. While waiting for the token to arrive, I figured I could actually do transfers in smaller amounts, but had to bear with a daily cap. Sigh. And, one week later, my OCBC token arrived. How efficient. DBS token

Extremely bad start with UOB One

With the influx of posts on social media re UOB One (psst on grabpay) and the receipt of my house keys, I decided it was the time to sign up for a UOB One account plus credit card. It was gonna be the best tool for household joint expenses and joint savings. However, I've faced multiple hiccups that made me VERY frustrated....WHY ME?! 1. Delayed approving process led to losing out of sign up bonus First, I signed up for the UOB One card and Account in early Oct through Singsaver's promotion. The promotion said that I'd get to enjoy cash incentive for registration + UOB's promotion of $80 cash credit with min $1k spent within 30 days of card approval. Mind you, t hese terms were stated to end on 31 Oct , extracted below: S$80 Cash Credit for  UOB  One Account:  Limited to the first 500 new to  UOB  Deposits customers who either (i) deposit and maintain $5,000 or (ii) credit their salary, into their new  UOB  account for 6 consecutive months. Terms and conditio