Skip to main content

Enjoying the mundane rhythm of 2 years and hoping it lasts


I've always been appreciative of WFH. Even before the pandemic, I enjoyed telecommuting because it gets me away from office politics and tensions with people. I really hate (fake) social interactions.

So after close to 2 years (time flies), I'm documenting my quick thoughts about my mundane rhythm so that I can look back fondly if we were to ever be forced to return to office😠.

For context, I love staying home. I'm glad to be able to move into my house and settled the renovations before the mass disruption. Having 3 bedrooms meant my husband and I have our own room for work. We started off working in the same room, but given the number of calls and meetings we need to attend, it was difficult to be together. Nope, we didn't quarrel. Now that I reflect upon it, it seems like my husband is the BEST co-worker I've ever worked with! We are comfortable with each other, and shoot what we think, yet are respectful of each other space. He doesn't judge me regardless of how ugly I look, or what I say. Our banters were mainly just to dig fun of each other otherwise the work hours get mundane. Plus, this "co-worker" volunteers to settle most of my lunch by either cooking or helping to dabao....for free. LOL where else can I find such a wonderful co-worker? 

Back to my mundane rhythm. 

Prior to WFH, I usually wake up at 7-730am to prepare for work and reach by 830-9am. As I got lazier plus more confident and comfortable with the WFH situation, I could wake up at....830am and get right to work lol

But after months of doing so, I found myself lethargic. I've now set a habit to wake up at 7-730am regardless workday or weekend. I will then lepak in my living room, browsing tikok, FB, telegram and IG till 8.30am. I find myself more productive that way - not sure if that 1+ hour of doing nothing yet getting my mind active helped. 

Work then starts from 830am to 1230pm. For a good 1 year plus, I was very hardworking. The start of the WFH situation actually gave me work headaches because of ops issues to iron out. Which was why I would jolt up at 730-8am and go straight to my laptop to work. Nobody forced me to do so, but I felt responsible to quickly sort out the tasks. However, the shit thing was, my former bosses can't see such efforts nor appreciate what we do; all they could do as useless leaders were to question our productivity. They probably thought we were slacking at home. Thankfully we weren't required to appear online on Teams, Zoom or Skype - that would pissed me off with such intrusive micromanagement. 

Lunch was very flexible during WFH. It depends on when my food comes. I could eat my lunch at home within 30 mins and then play games or take quick naps until 2pm. It wasn't that rosy though - when I had urgent tasks or feel productive, there were many occasions where I eat lunches in front of my laptop and just kept working. Hence, I didn't take any lunch breaks technically. But I was fine with it. So, I really love the flexibility of lunch hours during WFH. The only thing I miss about pre-covid work lunches was heading out to nice makan places.

Then it's back to work at 2pm till evening.

I was also working late for a period of time. Again, I was fine with it - that was a surprising thing I found out about myself during this period. I actually don't mind pouring more efforts and time to settle work as long as I don't have toxic people to handle, or be in a toxic environment physically where I've to tread people's boundaries. If I had been in office, I would have hated it because of the need to settle dinner late, commute, drag my tired self on public transport + reach home late, bathe and settle work again. 

While I lament that I couldn't distinct work vs personal time at the start, I wasn't calculative about working extra hours. I am sure it's because I had a very supportive husband who settle my meals so I don't have to stress about getting my belly full in the midst of work chaos. Plus, having my own room helps - I can't imagine staying in my parents home quarrelling with my family over their noise and the lack of space. Despite my efforts, since it wasn't appreciated, I've learnt to pace myself and my work. #workisjustwork

Weekends were occasionally spent on window and grocery shopping and dining out. We also spent a good bulk of time cooking at home, ordering takeouts. Another thing I learnt during this period is - I don't need a lot of money to survive; my expenses cut down because I don't eat expensive lunches with colleagues; transport; buying new clothes or dying hair/dolling physical appearance since nobody will care how you look (they look equally disheveled on zoom anw)!

I really enjoy myself at home and I hope never to be forced to return to office. I don't care about social interactions, nor the pantry at office! I can stock it well with whatever I want too! However, I'm not sure if this wish can become a reality since the management would usually want to see and SCOLD us face to face. Speaking of scold, to digress, the ongoing NOC saga of toxic behaviour by Sylvia (da CEO) is actually a prevalent issue across ALL INDUSTRIES. Bosses scolding people, throwing their weights and files, calling names like retarded/stupid are common; and the voiceless and powerless are forced to live with it. I really hope there are platforms where people can do more exposé of toxic management/bosses in private sector like banking, consultancy, tech companies to public sector and schools etc. I'm sure the powerless majority would have a lot of angst to share. Glassdoor is not enough to expose certain toxic characters. These "leaders" need to be flagged and punished. 

So when PM Lee mentioned the new normal will come in 3-6 months, I'm worried. As much as I wish for the speedy economic recovery and businesses to do well, I don't want to head back to office. I don't wish to interact with colleagues. I don't want to be forced to return physically to suit the needs and whims of the management who wants face-time and get instant reporting/results from subordinates. I'm dreading that day.

For now, I'd just enjoy my WFH while it lasts.....or maybe, see if I've the luck to try out remote working?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie