Skip to main content

I finally set-up my SRS account and then DBS screws up


I've finally set up my SRS account. In the past, I didn't feel the need to do so and these were my thoughts:

  • no need for additional tax savings since I'm doing annual CPF top-up
  • no clue what to invest using SRS funds 
  • don't want my $ to be stuck in an account till age 62. That's another 30 years (and I've only just passed thirty years on earth!)
However, circumstances have changed. As my income grew, I needed more avenues to reduce my tax. Not that I'm earning a lot, but the intent was the same as me doing my annual CPF top-up i.e I'd rather save the tax monies and channel to my mum and I, than doing nothing to my tax relief and paying 100% to the govt - likewise, topping up to my SRS would work the same way. The chart from DBS web below would serve as a good example of the potential tax savings we could save. 


More importantly, the call to lock-in my retirement age at 62 has pushed me to take action because 2021 is the last year/chance before the statutory retirement age gets raised from 62 to 63 in 2022.

With that, I've been waiting for the SRS promo to come back, especially DBS's since I deemed it my main bank. All thanks to this Seedly post, I took actions immediately. Within a few minutes, I've set-up my SRS account and put in $10k so that I could clock the $50 reward (see Condition 1).


After note

While coming up with this post and thinking about my next steps to maximise my SRS funds, DBS screwed up. Just when I said it's my main bank above. Grrrr.

I have no clue what's happening but I don't see my SRS account reflected....yet my $10k fund was already deducted from my main account.

This is despite checking in for the past few days thinking maybe it's my app but it's not in my ibanking page either. Meantime, I've logged a case and the customer service too realise there's something wrong and have flagged to their backend team. What are the odds of suay things happening to me? 

Anyway, with my account set-up, I'd be looking into maximising my SRS funds plus clock Condition 2 to get extra $50 reward. I'll blog about my plan next. So stay tune!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie