Skip to main content

Health thoughts, costs and other matters

It's the time of the month...the ladies would understand.

Every month, I'd get bad cramps which makes me breathless, giddy and helpless. It's during such periods of sickness that I have morbid thoughts - what if I drop dead and die? How can I avoid such pains? Why do I have to suffer like this? Can I just remove my womb?

It's also during such times that I pause to think about my health. I start to think I need to exercise more, eat better, treat myself better, and take care of my health. When I'm my usual self, I don't bother much with such thoughts.

Anyway, for the first time in my 30+ years of life, I've started acupuncture...in a bid to get pregnant. I wonder how long and how much more I have to spend.

Getting pregnant is not an easy task for me. After the TCM consultation, I know I've a lot of issues to tackle. I've poor sleep, poor appetite, frequent back aches, frequent cramps, cold feet and arms, poor blood circulation, poor digestion. All these didn't matter, I just let it pass for many years. But to the physician, these could be why I have issues conceiving.

Which makes me think - I should prioritise fixing my health first and not bother about the outcome. 

The acupuncturist is aiming to treat my poor sleep, back aches and cramps first. But despite my 3rd weekly visit, I still haven't seen any improvements. Worse, my blood flow became low. I know. I am impatient. 

I requested for no medicines. I cited I've poor digestion and I've taken TCM medicine 1 year plus back for a few months to no effect. The physician didn't force me  but said it will be best to couple treatment with medicines. I must admit I asked for no medicines because of cost. It cost $12/day for those powder. Already the acupuncture sets me at $100+ per visit. But, I will oblige soon. The physician told me and my hub to try taking 1 week of medicine after period to help. I may also have to oblige with going for twice/week acupuncture.

At times, I think there's something wrong with me. Sometimes I bear spending the money, sometimes I don't. I readily purchased supplements like ubiquinol, vitamin d3, omega 3, probiotics after reading that it helps with fertility. Especially that ubiquinol which cost 50 cents per pill. Though, after taking it for months, there's no results. 

I've been buying herbal soup to brew after period. Each pack cost $6 and I was told to drink it for 3 days. 1 new pack for each day. That's $18.

I was told to brew red dates tea to drink every day after period. I'll estimate it at 50cents/day. 

Yet it took me some time to go for acupuncture because it's not cheap. I decided to go for it since this is one method I've not tried. 

For my own reference, it seems that I need to set aside ~$600/month or close to $1k if I go for acupuncture twice a week.


It may seem stupid to calculate these, but I needed a sense of how much I am investing in my health. I suppose spending on my health is better than buying a new iphone 14, which I'm holding back from.

The good thing is I am still getting my paycheck. But the layoff news are getting closer to home and I'm getting jittery. I have been feeling bored at work and if layoff comes, I guess I'm be one of the first because I'm under the radar. I hate show-time with my bosses. 

I am casually browsing for jobs but I don't see any roles and companies I like. Big tech is a no-no (see meta, google, shopee), banking may soon be affected (see goldman sachs, credit suisse), govt sector is too rigid for me (friends wanna get out to pte sector but they have difficulties transiting out)...the list goes on. I am facing mid-life career crisis because I don't know what to do. I dislike working, and probably belongs to the "quiet quitting" batch that people scorns at. My mum would scold me for having no drive. I just want a monthly income and enough time to enjoy my life, not OT till wee nights. I would love to do a remote job, if conditions are right. I may also relook at whether I want to take paycut to take on a more relaxed job. 

Anyway, enough ranting. I feel like I'm over divulging how useless I am😔

How much do you spend to maintain your health? What tips/supplements/food do you recommend? Happy to learn more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?