Skip to main content

My 10 credit cards and which to say goodbye to 😢


I know I've loads of credit cards. But it scares me a little to know that I've a total of 10 cards after tabulating the below. Guess it's timely to do a review of the cards I have so I know which to use and which to say byebye to!

Here's the summary of my 10 credit cards and which to say goodbye to:

To keep

1. SC Manhattan - to keep for big ticket items (note: card is no longer available for application)


2. SC Unlimited cashback - no min. spend to keep for 1.5% cashback on all spends


3. SC Spree - to use for contactless spends (2%); no min spend, max spend $3000


No minimum spend and up to $60 rebate. Earn 2% cashback on all online spends in local currency, all contactless and mobile payments. Earn 1% cashback on all other retail spends.

4. BOC Sheng Siong - to use for Sheng Siong spends (no min spend, 7% rebate, max spend: $700)

Cash RebateSpend CategoryCondition
7%Sheng Siong Spend• No minimum spend
• Cash rebate capped at  S$70 per billing cycle
Additional 5%Sheng Siong Spend• Accumulate a total out-store spend of S$400 within the same billing cycle to enjoy additional 5% on Sheng Siong transactions
• Cash rebate capped at  S$20 per billing cycle
5%*Transport
Grab, Uber and all taxi rides in Singapore
• Accumulate a total retail spend of S$400 in a billing cycle to enjoy 5% cash rebate on Transport
• Cash rebate capped at  S$20 per billing cycle
1%Overseas Spend• No minimum spend
• No cap on cash rebate earned
0.3%All other purchases• No minimum spend
• No cap on cash rebate earned

To hold for now:

5. BOC Zaobao - to KIV for online spend, department stores and dining (10%). Need to spend $600 to enjoy rebates. Note - only for merchants accepting Unionpay. Max rebate: $80, max spend for online = $800.

Cash rebatesSpend Categories
20%*Zaobao and SPH newspaper subscriptions
12%BreadTalk
10%Buzz
Department Stores
Online Purchases
Dining
5%Spend in China

6. BOC Family card - to KIV for wedding spend; $700 spend to clock 0.8% interest($40) and $30 rebate. Used to be my No. 1 card. Need to spend min $700 to enjoy rebates. 


To say goodbye

7. BOC Dual Currency - to cancel. Created for China trip but did not use it.

8. POSB Everyday - to STOP using as ezlink card. $0.25 convenience fee waived. Received $0.15 cents rebate (0.3%). [side note: to use SC Spree card instead for 2% rebate]

9. DBS Black - to cancel. Low utilisation [side note: cancellation on the DBS site is super easy 👍 did it within 5 mins]

10. CIMB Visa Signature - to cancel. Need a minimum spend of S$500 posted within the same statement month; and minimum spend of 8 transactions of S$30 or more posted within the same
statement month to get 10% Cash Rebate on Wine and Dine, and Online Transactions in Foreign Currencies [side note: called CIMB contact centre and settled the cancellation in 10 mins]


Conclusion

With banks changing their games, we just need to do proper planning on the cards to use to milk the best rebates. 

Any good credit cards I miss? Recommendations are welcomed :)

Comments

  1. sc spree ezlink got 2%? i didnt read it in the tnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you are right. The ezlink is not eligible for 2% rebate. Thanks for pointing it out

      Delete
  2. Eh, the Manhattan card is very much still available as it has been all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No rude messages please. Unkind messages and spams will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

What the luck? DBS and OCBC banking tokens died!

What luck. My ibanking tokens went dead one after another. OCBC Token First was my OCBC token. It said "low battery", but I ignored it. And when I finally need to use it, it was dead. Granted that I could use SMS OTP, I had to make a big transfer to other banks and it was over the withdrawal limits. And to do that, I needed the ibanking token. And serve me right for not activating the onetoken. In the end, I had to call in to OCBC call centre for a replacement. 7 working days, they said. What a long wait. In the midst of it, I needed to make my interbank transfers. I even went down to OCBC bank and explored a stupid manual way i.e to withdraw cash and deposit into the other bank. But the moment they told me they ran out of big notes, I got scared. While waiting for the token to arrive, I figured I could actually do transfers in smaller amounts, but had to bear with a daily cap. Sigh. And, one week later, my OCBC token arrived. How efficient. DBS token

Extremely bad start with UOB One

With the influx of posts on social media re UOB One (psst on grabpay) and the receipt of my house keys, I decided it was the time to sign up for a UOB One account plus credit card. It was gonna be the best tool for household joint expenses and joint savings. However, I've faced multiple hiccups that made me VERY frustrated....WHY ME?! 1. Delayed approving process led to losing out of sign up bonus First, I signed up for the UOB One card and Account in early Oct through Singsaver's promotion. The promotion said that I'd get to enjoy cash incentive for registration + UOB's promotion of $80 cash credit with min $1k spent within 30 days of card approval. Mind you, t hese terms were stated to end on 31 Oct , extracted below: S$80 Cash Credit for  UOB  One Account:  Limited to the first 500 new to  UOB  Deposits customers who either (i) deposit and maintain $5,000 or (ii) credit their salary, into their new  UOB  account for 6 consecutive months. Terms and conditio