Skip to main content

Surrendering my Etiqa 2.02% after 3 years

It has been a good 3 years.

Back in 2019, I signed up for Etiqa's ELASTIQ plan which offers guaranteed 2.02% for the first 3 years. I started with $5k initial deposit first, and top up another $10k after since the interest rate environment then was bad.

Interest dropped

Now that 3 years is up, Etiqa has sent me an email informing of the revised interest down to 1.2%

Dear Valued Customer,

We hope you are keeping well and safe.

As COVID-19 continues to disrupt financial markets and economies, the prolonged uncertainty has made it challenging to maintain the existing crediting rate and loyalty bonus of your policy. We wish to inform you that the existing crediting rate and loyalty bonus for your ELASTIQ policy will be revised as follows:

Policy Number

Revised Crediting Rate* after 3rd year

Revised Loyalty Bonus

Effective date

: xxxxx

: 1.20% per annum

: 0.00% of the average monthly account value for the past 36 policy months

: xxxxx

*applicable to initial premium and top-up(s)

At this revised rate, your account value will continue to grow with 100% capital guaranteed. You will also enjoy the flexibility to top up or withdraw from your funds at your own convenience.

0% loyalty bonus

In addition, there was supposed to be a 0.3% loyalty bonus if you do not make any withdrawal for the past 36 months. Unfortunately, this has gone down to 0.

With this drop in interest rate, I will now be cashing out the full amount. 

Before: 
After:

Cash out process

Unfortunately, the withdrawal process is not that straightforward. I am not able to withdraw fully via their website. Instead, I had to email them and wait for the paynow transfer in 5 working days.

It's been a relatively good experience with Etiqa and I'll miss this interest compared to what I'm getting from DBS Multiplier. Hopefully, this $15k will grow further when I pumped it to other riskier plays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

What the luck? DBS and OCBC banking tokens died!

What luck. My ibanking tokens went dead one after another. OCBC Token First was my OCBC token. It said "low battery", but I ignored it. And when I finally need to use it, it was dead. Granted that I could use SMS OTP, I had to make a big transfer to other banks and it was over the withdrawal limits. And to do that, I needed the ibanking token. And serve me right for not activating the onetoken. In the end, I had to call in to OCBC call centre for a replacement. 7 working days, they said. What a long wait. In the midst of it, I needed to make my interbank transfers. I even went down to OCBC bank and explored a stupid manual way i.e to withdraw cash and deposit into the other bank. But the moment they told me they ran out of big notes, I got scared. While waiting for the token to arrive, I figured I could actually do transfers in smaller amounts, but had to bear with a daily cap. Sigh. And, one week later, my OCBC token arrived. How efficient. DBS token

Extremely bad start with UOB One

With the influx of posts on social media re UOB One (psst on grabpay) and the receipt of my house keys, I decided it was the time to sign up for a UOB One account plus credit card. It was gonna be the best tool for household joint expenses and joint savings. However, I've faced multiple hiccups that made me VERY frustrated....WHY ME?! 1. Delayed approving process led to losing out of sign up bonus First, I signed up for the UOB One card and Account in early Oct through Singsaver's promotion. The promotion said that I'd get to enjoy cash incentive for registration + UOB's promotion of $80 cash credit with min $1k spent within 30 days of card approval. Mind you, t hese terms were stated to end on 31 Oct , extracted below: S$80 Cash Credit for  UOB  One Account:  Limited to the first 500 new to  UOB  Deposits customers who either (i) deposit and maintain $5,000 or (ii) credit their salary, into their new  UOB  account for 6 consecutive months. Terms and conditio