Skip to main content

Budget Tracking : Jan 2016


Inspired by my favourite finance blogger - Mr 15HWW, I hope to document my monthly expenses.

I've been tracking my spendings diligently every day and it has become a habit for me to key in my spendings into my spreadsheet. I could do it on the go as well as I synced it to my phone. While there are times when I forgot to key in, I'd do so the following day. This makes me remember what I've spent on and let me know how much I've saved vs my earnings.

However, I don't really analyse my spendings. For eg, if I spend more this month on food than the other months, I don't really care or be mindful of my spendings next month. I see myself as a disciplined and self-controlled lady and also believes in eating well. But my meaning of eating well is not to eat abalone, seafood and shark fins everyday la! It's more of eating healthy or food that I feel happy eating with my colleagues, fiance or family :) Also to share, I seldom eat cold desserts or snack a lot cause I've a really weak stomach (I guess this is a boon for my pockets!).

Also, contrary to the 15HWW household, I'm still living with my parents so, my fixed expenses is.....$500 to my parents LOL and $25 for handphone bills. I understand that this is the time for me to save as much as I can and invest slightly/conservatively! My fiance better buck up in terms of saving hor!


Fixed expenses: $525

  • Allowances to parents - $500
  • Hp bill - $25

Variable expenses: $653.31

  • Food - $140
    • Mostly spendings during weekday lunches. I'm blessed to have "free" dinner during weekdays and occasional (ok la, many) "free" lunches/dinners during weekends when I pator with my bf. My bf very poor thing hor? :P
  • Shopping - $463.31
    • Online purchases like RAM from Amazon for bf and CNY stuffs like abalone for my parents and his mum, dresses for CNY and CNY stuffs from NTUC for my family.
  • Transport/Ez-reload - $50
    • I don't drive and live pretty near the MRT so $50 is usually enough for my monthly transport, unless I travel to "Malaysia" to visit my bf (you geddit?)

Variable Earnings (not including salary): $926.23
  • I'm actually not comfortable revealing my earnings (definitely not my salary la!) but thought that I should offer some glimpse to how I earn extra $ through the following:
    • interest rates - from OCBC 360
    • selling my items 
    • credit card rebates 
    • credit card signing perks - receive $ by spending the minimum amount required!
Surprisingly this month, I earned a lot. Mainly because I sold an expensive brand-new item (in 3 digits) that actually covered my variable expenses! 厉害吧!But, this is just a one-off thing la. I've nothing expensive to sell already :(

Till then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

What the luck? DBS and OCBC banking tokens died!

What luck. My ibanking tokens went dead one after another. OCBC Token First was my OCBC token. It said "low battery", but I ignored it. And when I finally need to use it, it was dead. Granted that I could use SMS OTP, I had to make a big transfer to other banks and it was over the withdrawal limits. And to do that, I needed the ibanking token. And serve me right for not activating the onetoken. In the end, I had to call in to OCBC call centre for a replacement. 7 working days, they said. What a long wait. In the midst of it, I needed to make my interbank transfers. I even went down to OCBC bank and explored a stupid manual way i.e to withdraw cash and deposit into the other bank. But the moment they told me they ran out of big notes, I got scared. While waiting for the token to arrive, I figured I could actually do transfers in smaller amounts, but had to bear with a daily cap. Sigh. And, one week later, my OCBC token arrived. How efficient. DBS token

Extremely bad start with UOB One

With the influx of posts on social media re UOB One (psst on grabpay) and the receipt of my house keys, I decided it was the time to sign up for a UOB One account plus credit card. It was gonna be the best tool for household joint expenses and joint savings. However, I've faced multiple hiccups that made me VERY frustrated....WHY ME?! 1. Delayed approving process led to losing out of sign up bonus First, I signed up for the UOB One card and Account in early Oct through Singsaver's promotion. The promotion said that I'd get to enjoy cash incentive for registration + UOB's promotion of $80 cash credit with min $1k spent within 30 days of card approval. Mind you, t hese terms were stated to end on 31 Oct , extracted below: S$80 Cash Credit for  UOB  One Account:  Limited to the first 500 new to  UOB  Deposits customers who either (i) deposit and maintain $5,000 or (ii) credit their salary, into their new  UOB  account for 6 consecutive months. Terms and conditio