Skip to main content

Benefits of WFH

Work From Home Dos and Don'ts - 7 WFH Rules
<source pic in hyperlink>

In the past, when I hear "circuit breaker", I'd link it to Science/Physics.

Not anymore.

People crudely calls it CB.

Even before CB kickstart, my company had started implemented WFH - if you've no biz in office, don't go.

And, I love it.

I love staying home.

And, it's CB Day 6 today. With a week of reflection plus past experiences, these are my personal benefits of WFH:

1. Wake up late/Extra sleeping time

I now get to wake up at 8.20am, brush my teeth, comb my hair, and saddle myself on my chair and prep for work.

2. Save transport cost

I always love telecommuting since it helps me save on my commute. That's around $2 savings a day of not taking the public transport to office!

3. Save lunch money and translate into groceries cost for hubby and I

Eating in office costs way more because after half a day of angst at work, all of us crave for good food. And good food usually meant spending $15-$30 per meal.

Now, I get to translate that $15-$30 cost into groceries. And this amount could last my hubby and I a a week of home cook meal!

4. Spending more time with hubby 

While my hubby and I hole ourselves up in different rooms as we work, I really enjoy this time together. My hubby's company is not big on telecommuting, so this is a rare chance for him to work from home if not for CB.

I like that when I get so engrossed at work and forgot it's time for lunch, by the time I step out of my room, I've meals prepared for me, or I'd see my hubby cooking something for me.

5. More productive at work + Working longer hours, but at comfort of home

What I enjoy working from home is the lack of disturbance. When I'm in office, I get called around for meetings, colleagues or staff popped by my desk to seek queries and I've to attend to their needs. I still get msgs on and off when I'm at home, but I just type it out and direct them. Or, we'll just call each other to settle things. I think I clear stuff much quicker at home, than in office.

Granted I work longer hours than in office, but I could afford to do so as I no longer need to watch the time to catch the bus home, or make sure I have my dinner before 7pm. If I'm hungry, I could just whip something quick and munch at work. Once I'm settled with work, I'll call it a day and start cooking dinner.

6. Lesser laundry to wash = saving utilities bill

I usually wash my laundry once a week. With the removed need to don on work wear (hey! pyjamas at work!), that's 3-4 pieces less work-wear to wash EVERY DAY! I'm expecting to only wash the laundry once every 1.5 weeks. 

7. Lesser stress and frustrations

I think I've slightly lesser stress WFH.

Gone are the frustrations waiting for bus and seeing it cramped back, thus having to wait for the next; gone are the need to walk quickly to office and feeling angsty about the list of meetings I have to attend to; gone are the frustrations hearing colleagues complained about their workload or their furious typings; gone are the frustrations of not finding a seat for lunch and having to eat a quick meal so I can attend the next meeting.

Though I must say, I got frustrated by a new colleague's bootlicking antics via emails ðŸ™„
-

People say this pandemic will create a new normal. Hopefully, the new normal will bring better change to all of us.

Comments

  1. For many employers, this is their first time managing a remote workforce of this size and scale. If you’re one of the employers who are new to managing a remote workforce, or are looking for best practice to follow during this unprecedented situation, we’ve put together a guide to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating is 80% of being in shape and it's very difficult to out-train a bad diet. When you are working from home there is a lot easier access and less steps to access food from the fridge. It is a great idea to try to have meals prepared where you can. Read:working from home: fitness & food.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No rude messages please. Unkind messages and spams will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie