Skip to main content

Reflections during vacation leave - Covid-19, new thoughts, new job?

I am on 1 day leave for an interview. But more on that later. Since I've the whole day to spare, I shall do some verbal vomit here.

Covid-19

When we welcomed the start of a new decade, who would have known that within a month, there would be world-wide disruptions?

Chinese New Year this year had a common talking point - Wuhan virus (as how we term it that time). Jokes were aplenty about how we need to be careful of everything from Wuhan. "Wash your hands ah, dont spread wuhan virus to me.", "where is this pork from? Wuhan ah?" etc.

Later, WHO issued a change in name of the virus to Covid-19.

As time pass, Singapore got hit with more and more cases. Everyone got more cautious. Although it has only be 1 month since CNY, it felt like we all grew a lot within this period. Some grew idiotic (you get what I mean), some grew racist, while some grew more empathetic and kind. It was also during this time that masks and hand sanitisers became the MUST get for everyone. Honestly, till today, I only have 4 masks issued by the government (thank you very much). However, I do have anti-bacterial handwash all thanks to my dad who got them when I moved house.

Travel plans affected

Lately, more and more countries got hit by the virus, with the most shocking from South Korea where their cases skyrocketed. I had already purchased air tickets and my accommodations but given the current situation, it is likely that plans will be thwarted. Even though I had purchased travel insurance, I'm not sure if I will be compensated for air tickets. Not that worried about accommodation as there is free cancellation. This is a bumper, but I'm sure I'm not the only one fretting over this. Overseas travel this year will be very limited. Good thing I clocked many overseas trip last year :P

Looking out for stocks to purchase

With the worsening situation, you see more and more negative news regarding the economy. Many said it's time to enter the market - but how, when, what? I've been reviewing a few stocks but havent made any purchases yet. 

Holding back lump sum payment for house

It is during this time that I realised, having a war chest is really important. My husband talks about pumping $200k into our house as a wrong move, but let's not dwell over a done deal anymore. 

I am now being careful about pumping lump sum amount for my flat. I had been deliberating about making another $100k to reduce the interest for my housing loan, but given the current situation, it seems that holding cash is best. I will continue to make monthly instalment instead of lump sum payment.

On potential new job

I've been thinking about leaving my current workplace. I've submitted a few applications and managed to get an interview today. I'm not sure how I fared but I'm pretty hopeful that I will progress to the next round.

But, I worry if it is the right move. The thing is, I'm doing fairly well in my current place. I get to leave work on time, and I have delivered and been rewarded with decent performance grade. Looking back at my previous posts (here and here), I am glad that I came to a place which I can deliver at, without expending too much personal time despite my initial worries. However, I am not pleased with my current remuneration because I feel shortchanged. It is unlikely to be promoted anytime soon, and we all know promotion is what propels your salary higher.

As such, I am on a look-out, mainly for higher compensation. I am not sure if this is possible given the current economic climate, but the company I am interviewing for, can pay. Just not sure how much I can negotiate for. Yet, this company is also known for its stressful and long working hours. I'd then be trading higher monthly salary with my personal time. I know it's not worth it, but I'm also thinking, this might be the rare chance that I can propel my salary upwards. I'm still relatively young, but as time goes, my bargaining power may decrease as I need to take on leadership position for a high package. I don't have leadership abilities, and I know that so there's a limit to how far I can climb.

This company also has a good brand name and can propel me towards better opportunities. I will worry more once I get the offer, but just needed to think out loud as I've jumbled thoughts.

On family

What makes things a bit more tricky is, I am trying to conceive. I havent had much luck. People tell me not to stress myself, but it is easier said than done, especially when I see people who got married later, already pregnant. I know it isn't a competition, but I really want to have a baby when I'm young.

If I do get pregnant while job hunting, it is likely I would put all things on hold and continue to cruise in my current job. 

Anyway, all these are just random thoughts to clear my mind. The best is to pray for economy to turn better so that less livelihoods are affected (for those who prayed for recession just so you can score "cheap" stocks, shame on ya!)

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?