Skip to main content

My thoughts during my 1 month notice period

And so, I've resigned.

When my colleagues knew, many were shocked, given how stable I was at work (or how I seem to be). Some said they expected it, since I was still young. Some said they were shocked, yet expected it. Whatever it is, I've come to realise a few things during my notice period and I'm here to share my thoughts.

Everyone is dying to leave this place

During the past few weeks, I received varied comments from people. The most common comment I heard was - you must be happy to get out of this place. Hearing this comment, made me very unhappy. It actually reflects how the person feels about this place. 

There are some who said they are envious that I'm leaving. I asked - can't you do the same? And then, they started rattling on things like they have too much work piled on them to leave, they have too much responsibilities on hand... that it got me thinking...aren't these just excuses? Which brings me to the next point...

It takes courage to leave.

Everyone is dying to leave this place, but nobody has the courage to leave.

My colleagues are envious that I'm leaving because I am no longer tied down by the work here, that I can relax because I don't need to care about the work here anymore. But I retorted that I'm still not relaxed given the amount of work I have. In fact, my boss was still assigning me work. I can't clear leave until I finish handing over my work. And lastly, while I will no longer be tied down by the work here, I will still be tied down in my next job. There is no escape as long as I continue working....

My parting words to them were - don't envy. Do the same if you want to leave.

Honestly, there is no point grumbling day in and out at work. Take action if you find that you are stuck, or you are no longer working. 

The boss wants to keep you, only for his/her selfish reasons

I've colleagues coming up to ask me if the big boss tried to retain me. The honest answer was - not really. Actually, they would have expected the answer. The boss is known for lacking care and compassion. Career development? You wish. All the bosses want is for you to be by their side to be their minions. If the minion is down, they'd just hire another one. In fact, I didn't get much blessings from the boss. Subtle cold water more like it. But whatever was said, affirms my decision to leave.

Career decision is mine to make. Trust your heart. If all fails, take heart that you've tried

Honestly, I am afraid. Afraid that I can't adapt into the new environment. After all, I've been used to the culture in my organisation since I graduated. But, I thought to myself that there is no better time to leave than now. I am still young. If all things fail, find another job and start anew.

I know it's not easy finding a job when you are much older. You have much more liabilities and risks. My older colleagues all shared the same thing - if they were a few years younger, they'd leave the organisation. But at their age, they are not keen to take on changes, and they know that their high pay makes them uncompetitive. I'll probably face such crossroads when I'm older, but I'll leave such worries in the future.

For now, I am glad that I am taking charge of my own career journey, because nobody will make the choice for me.

So goodbye to my organisation and colleagues. Maybe we will meet again

Comments

  1. As in management position myself I would like to share my side of story. I once interviewed a fresh graduate from top university. He asked me what can I give and do for him if he is to be hired by me. That time in my mind was what can he help me. That's the whole idea. Why should I hire someone to burden myseld ? If I am to hire a fresh person, I need to make sure the training and guidance invested in him give me returns in addition to the unproductive inexperience asset drawing monthly salary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No rude messages please. Unkind messages and spams will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie