Skip to main content

Reminding myself to let go

This is a post to myself.

I know you're a difficult person to please. You've expectations of everything. You take many things seriously. And, you play again and again in your head, what people said of you and to you.

You wish to stop these thoughts from coming. But you can't.

Those childhood memories keep flooding to you in your dreams. You dreamt about being looked down upon. You dreamt that you could hear what they were gossiping about, and it was all about you. You wondered how could they bear to say or joke about a kid. You were only a kid, you were only a teenager. What is there to compare about? You got frustrated. Why didn't your parents say anything? How could they allow people to say that you're stupid? How could they not shut them up? Thoughts like these still lingers and you cried.

You also dreamt about the lack of parental love. You dreamt that your parents are biased against you. You remembered your mom coming out from the shower and spanked you because you were noisy but in fact, it was your brothers who were quarrelling. You can't remember if this was a fact or a make-believe. You remembered minor details like how your parents didn't care about your 21st, but when it was your brother's turn, they kept asking if he wanted one. You remembered being scolded for not showering when you spent the whole day at home, but wished to shower at the point when your brother came home. Your brother was the priority, not you. The same thing reversed. Your brother spent the whole day at home, and when you came home wanting to shower, he wanted to too. But he had the priority. You felt mad. You just couldn't balance this out. You have this thought that you have lesser love from your parents. Dad dotes on the youngest, mom dotes on the second. You, being the eldest, are not particularly close to any. Sometimes you wish to share many things with your mom. But she doesn't pay attention. You get frustrated. 

You joke to your partner that, thank god, you had him. He dotes on you. But there are times when you feel angered by his lack of EQ. He has said mean things to you, but he felt it was a joke. You didn't find it funny. Just this morning, you recalled what he said in front of his friends and you felt offended. You teared and wondered if you could stand these. 

You are extremely conscious of yourself. You worry how people judge you. You feel happy when you are looked up upon. You feel more confident at work because your bosses think you're good. But, your confidence drops when you knew of a particular big boss slight disinterest in you. You could feel that she didn't really like you and you hate working with her and for her. In front of her, you were quiet. You have no interest sucking up to her, or to impress her more. You just wanted the time with her to end and leave. 

You are highly sensitive to what's happening around you. This is your strength, but it could turn into a black hole for you. In school, you could sense when your "friends" talk about you. Their slight twitch or expressions from their eyes say it all. You remembered distancing yourself away from them. If they didn't like me, so be it. But, it got worst. Once you distanced yourself away, they were more daring in showing their dislike. You hated secondary school, because you experienced for yourself how it felt to be ostracised, by your "friends" in your CCA.

You sometimes wondered why didn't you have the luck? The luck to meet nice and good people in schools. You lament to yourself that you do not have any friends. Your partner joked about this insecurity of yours and harped on how you do not have friends. How are you going to have bridesmaid to help you with wedding stuffs? He even whatsapped his friends that you do not have many people to invite because you have no friends. You felt extremely hurt. It is true but you didn't need him to say such inconsiderate stuff. Not to others. Throughout your schooling years, you met people who you felt are not genuine. You are highly selective when it comes to getting people into your social circle. You could tell very easily if people genuinely wants to make friends with you or not. You figured if people are keen to be friends with you, they'd make an effort. So you only extend your effort to those who showed they cared.

You only have 2 friends in school whom you think you can rely on. One in secondary school, and another in uni. These 2 are the people whom you can just message to talk to. You also met one at work, but she get along well with almost everyone. If you really wanted people to be your bridesmaid, these 3 are whom you can think of. But you also worry about making them stress and tired over your event, so you felt like abolishing all these things.

You think a lot. And you worry a lot about the things you can't control.

How you wish you could be like Elsa.



Comments

  1. hi
    I applaud your courage to pen down your thoughts and think it is even braver to post it for the public to read it. Your story resonates with many of my clients' story and one that often ends in tears and lots of tissue paper on the table. Many of us were hurt by our loved ones and had difficulty to let go. On the surface,they may seem normal and nice but beneath the surface, they operate like a time bomb walking. A sensitive remark from someone, a gesture that you didn't like can trigger the reaction in you, causing discomfort, disappointment, sadness, envy, frustration and many more.

    Such vicious cycle can go on for months and years and many thought this is part and parcel of lives. It is NOT!
    Life, in my opinion should not be like this. You can be happy, joyful and have peace in your heart.
    It has nothing to do with your personality or work performance, you and many others simply deserve it, no questions asked. We often punish ourselves that because we had this and that in the past, therefore we ought to suffer now, receive some form of retribution and conclude such pain is to be accepted into our lives.

    I used to think like that too when I had my mild depression (that story for another time). Now, I thank God daily for what I have and am happy how he is using me to help my clients resolve their relationship entanglement from toxic relationship to singles who had challenges finding partner, etc.

    Be strong, my friend ! The end is much nearer in this journey than you thought, sometimes. If you continue to use the same methods to resolve this problem, you would likely get the same outcome. An intervention is needed and it is one where many of my clients procrastinate, allowing it somehow to escalate to a level bad enough to take away their confidence, self esteem and happiness in life.

    I can help you like many of my clients and I have been doing this for the last 8 years. From single parents, divorcees to CEO of companies, they all have their fair share of stories and pain. It takes one who had been there to know what it is like, it isn't easy to even talk about it. I had clients who cried for hours in the first few sessions and many a times, they wanted to pull out, feeling it is too difficult to continue or thinking they had tried everything and it is futile.

    Again, this cannot be further from the truth. If I could turn back the clock, I would seek help as early as possible so that I could have what I want much earlier. Then again, things happen for a reason and I know it is for the betterment of oneself to undergo a series of challenges so that in the end, he or she can be better, stronger, more confident to take on bigger problems later on.

    You already are on this pathway and perhaps, with your permission and a little guidance, you may be able to get the desired outcome you want. I wish you all the best, sincerely.
    Desmond
    Relationship Coach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning how to let go isn't easy. It comes more naturally to some and less so for others. I hope things get better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No rude messages please. Unkind messages and spams will be blocked and deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

I finally cross $700k networth, after 1 year 4 months

I wondered how I should kickstart this post - should I be positive or negative about this? After 1 year 4 months, I finally crossed $700k in networth - returning back to where I've been at, back in Dec 2021.  I am disappointed.  For the past many years, I've always been growing my networth, at around $100-$150k/year. I had big plans to hit a net worth of $850k by December 2022, but the universe had other plans for me. Instead, I only managed to reach $646k, leaving me with a $204k gap to my target.  Ever since I became more aggressive in my "investment" portfolio in 2021, being sucked by greed to deploy most of my cash into stocks and crypto, I fell heavily, along with the crashes. Crypto wiped out 5 digits savings, so did the stock market.  To be honest, ever since the crashes and a bad hit to my net worth, I actually didn't do anything special to improve. I didn't make drastic spending cuts, I didn't stop my holidays, I didn't continue investing (no

First CPF top up in Jan 2023 and tax relief concerns

Detailing my yearly CPF top-up and thoughts.  This is my 8th year of top-up. 1. Top-up $2.5k to Medisave via Paynow Did a $2,500 top up to my Medisave, bringing it to 2023 MA ceiling of $68,500. Done the same for my husband as well. 2. On hold - To top up $5.5k to SA or no? Contrary to the past where I top-up at the start of the year, I have decided to hold off the top-up. A) Running out of cash Firstly, I'm running out of cash. I'm berating myself for degrading to the past where I look forward to my monthly income for cashflow. So I can build up my $100k capital in savings account again, given the current high interest environment.  B) Hitting FRS soon = no tax relief Secondly, I'm concerned about reaching FRS too soon.  The FRS this year is $198,800. I'm now sitting on ~$157k SA which means $41,800 away from reaching this ceiling.  I know some people encouraged maxing this out ASAP. But, as I've crossed 6 digits annual income, maxing FRS soon meant lower tax relie

Starting 2023 with extra $9,979.20

Happy 2023~! I woke up feeling not very positive. It seems like I've brought forward my 2022 negative thoughts along. I ought to be more optimistic! Anyway, my best way of welcoming the new year is to count the new inflow of $ and here's my CPF interest for 2022: Have you check your CPF interest yet?